Everest Base Camp Trek Day 6 – Acclimatising in Dingboche

Ama Dablam with prayer flags on the Everest Base Camp Trek

You can read all of my posts about the Everest Base Camp trek here!

After my rough day of trekking yesterday, I was pleased to wake up feeling much better than I had the day before. We had another acclimatisation day today as we were now well over 4000m in altitude, although after my last acclimatisation hike experience in Namche I was not expecting an easy day.

As we had a shorter day of trekking today, we had a bit of a later start. Deepak had told us the night before that we’d only be ascending around 300m on today’s hike, although from speaking to other trekkers it seemed as though the hike was not an easy one. Luckily it was a bright sunny day, and when I stepped outside the clear view of the stunning mountain ranges lifted my spirits. Out of the window of the dining hall, we could see beautiful Ama Dablam rising tall and proud against the brilliant blue sky.

Ama Dablam from our teahouse at Dingboche on the Everest Base Camp Trek
The view from our dining room window – spectacular!

By this stage of the trek, none of our team were feeling 100%, all of us with varying degrees of stomach illness and the altitude symptoms that were affecting me. We ended up asking Deepak if we could leave a little later for our acclimatisation hike to give everyone a chance to recover as much as possible, which he was fine with.

Our crew at the top of our Dingboche acclimatisation hike on the Everest Base Camp Trek
Our weary and wounded team putting on a brave face to tackle our acclimatisation hike!

We had all expected another tough hike like our acclimatisation day in Namche, but thankfully today’s was substantially easier. All we had was a short hike up the hill behind our teahouse, finishing up at a prayer flag where we had amazing views of the mountains surrounding Dingboche.

Panorama from top of Dingboche acclimatisation hike on the Everest Base Camp Trek
Gotta love a panorama! The view from the top of our hike that day.

Coming back down the hill to Dingboche was actually more difficult than climbing up, as the path was quite sandy and littered with many loose rocks – we slipped quite a few times! The hike only took us a couple of hours, then there was plenty of time for us to spend the afternoon relaxing.

Mountains on Dingboche acclimatisation hike on the Everest Base Camp Trek
The mountains above Dingboche.

On the way down from our hike, we asked Deepak if we could do some laundry, so when we returned he organised a bucket of water for us. We washed some clothes and left them on the roof weighted down with rocks to dry in the afternoon sunshine.

After we’d done our washing we decided to go and find some internet to let our families know we were still alive, as our teahouse did not have their internet working. Wandering through the town, we found an “internet café” which consisted of a shed with a couple of ancient laptops and wifi routers, all powered by a system of car batteries linked together! The owner would only allow 3 people to log on at a time, as the connection was incredibly slow, but even with only 3 of us online it was next to impossible to get a page to load. I’d advise you to save your money here, and wait to use the internet until you reach Gorak Shep where the connection was lightning fast!

Our not-so-successful internet update done, we headed back to the teahouse to catch up on some reading and relaxing for the remainder of the afternoon. Danielle and Michael came in to join us closer to dinner time, and we had a few games of cards. I had an aloo paratha (spiced potato stuffed flatbread) for dinner, and we stayed in the common room a little later than usual to finish drying our last bits and pieces of washing by the stove. Tomorrow we’d be moving off again to Lobuche, our last day before reaching Everest Base Camp!

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.